Re: TNS Listner failed to start process - Help Wanted!

From: Julz <jxa_at_adlam.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:32:47 GMT

Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com> wrote in message news:<3B4CF16E.E2433265_at_home.com>...
> Julz wrote:
> >
> > I would be greatful if anyone could help with a problem.
>
> how many CPUs in the server?
> one solution could be to add more listeners and balance across them.
> (the key load_balance=yes should be used in the tnsnames.ora files on
> the clients or middle tier)
> You may want to see how long the queue is for listener requests.
>
> You are currently allocating the following for memory:
>
> 8 MB - log buffer
> 96 MB - shared pool
> 500 MB - buffer cache
>
> So even if only 2 GB is available to oracle - you have ~ 1.5 GB
> available for PGA.
> You can make 3 GB or RAM available to Oracle with patches.
> Check the MS KB for articles on this.
>
> What are the values for the following parameters:
>
> hash_area_size
> sort_area_size
> sort_area_retained_size
>
> these directly affect the size of the PGA.
> can you check what the high_water_mark for user connections was?
> this is written to the alert log each time at normal or immediate
> shutdown.
>
> Paul

Paul,
Thanks for your comments.

4 CPU's

hash_area_size = default
sort_area_size = 65536
sort_area_retained_size = 65536

high_water_mark for users fluctuates between 103-120

3GB only seems to be available if running NT4 Enterprise Edition - we are using Standard.

Thanks

Julian Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:32:47 CDT