Re: Cold & Hot backup!

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:32:34 GMT

"Thomas Kyte" <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote in message news:9i731s029gc_at_drn.newsguy.com...
> In article <3b4661cd_1_at_news1.prserv.net>, <hartono_nugroho_at_attglobal.net
 says...

> >Thanks for your quick response.
> >
> >I want to be able to delete all of the old archive redo log files after
> >did a cold backup and start over again with the ARCHIVE redo log.
> >My undersanding is that by using cold backup, you only need to backup the
> >ONLINE redo log file, while in hot backup you need to have all
> >the ARCHIVE redo log file. Or do Oracle automatically reuse the archive
> >redo log when you issue alter tablespace begin backup command?
> >Currently I am using only a cold backup so I don't really know the
 situation
> >of hot backup.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Ari
> >

> wrong -- you NEVER backup online redo log files in ANY CASE.

I would clarify to this extent: if you are performing COLD backups, then backing up the online redo logs is useful, but not essential. The Oracle docs themselves says making such a backup may make recovery procedures easier under certain circumstances.

But, to the extent that a database once closed has *no* online files of whatever nature, then your statement above is actually 100% correct.

Regards
HJR

> there are no difference in the needs to retain archivelogs for cold vs
 hot.

> To restore a hot backup taken one week ago and make it current with today
 you
> need:
>
> o the hot backup from one week ago
> o ALL archives genererated SINCE the hot backup started
>
> To resort a cold backup taken one week ago and make it current with today
 you
> need:
>
> o the cold backup from one week ago
> o ALL archives generated SINCE the cold backup started (and finished since
 none
> are generated during).
>

> The are NO different in their need for archives.
>
> If you are doing a cold backup and not retaining archivelogs -- you have
 no
> ability to recover from a media (disk) failure.
>

> >"Thomas Kyte" <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote in message
> >> In article <3b465115_3_at_news1.prserv.net>,
 <hartono_nugroho_at_attglobal.net
 says...

> >> I don't understand -- you need just as many archives with cold as
 hot...

> >> Yes, you can mix and match them.
> >>
> >> No, cold won't save any disk space.
> >>
> >> You just need to be running in archivelog mode, you can use either a
 cold
 or hot
> >> backed up file during media recovery.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Thomas Kyte (tkyte@us.oracle.com) http://asktom.oracle.com/
> >> Expert one on one Oracle, programming techniques and solutions for
 Oracle.