Re: Automating Database Backup!

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:32:27 GMT

Read up on the NT "AT" command (otherwise accessed via the control panel - scheduled tasks) icon, and the Unix 'cron' app. Both allow you to schedule the running of whatever scripts you care to come up with.

As to what those scripts should contain: that rather depends on what you want to backup, and how. Are you in archivelog mode? Or not? Can you shut your database down or not? And so on.

I'd urge you to cease thinking that somehow export is a form of backup. It isn't. It's a useful *adjunct* to a physical backup strategy, but it's no substitute for one. You may need to read up on what backup options are available to you. I can only offer
http://www.howardjr.freeservers.com/backup_and_recovery.htm and the 70-page document available for download there.

Regards