Re: Encryption (Oracle8i) ????

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:31:51 GMT

Thomas Kyte wrote:

> In article <3B44D6C0.4BF29E3B_at_attws.com>, "Daniel says...
> >
> >jcg wrote:
> >
> >> I'm very interest by the DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT package.
> >> Is anybody knows where I can find it ?
> >> Jean christophe
> >
> >Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition.
> >
> >Daniel A. Morgan
> >

> And SE and PE -- dbms_obfuscation_toolkit is in all -- maybe you are thinking of
> the Advanced Security Option for network encryption.
>
> To install dbms_obfuscation_toolkit, simply execute catobtk.sql
> found in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin using SVRMGRL when connected
> as SYS or INTERNAL using SVRMGRL in 8i.

Tom,

Just kidding around here, but you can execute catobtk.sql just fine in sqlplus. (I've been weaning myself from svrmgrl for some time now).

Thanks for the examples of dbms_obfuscation_toolkit on your site. (used the example yesterday for excrypting accounting info). and I see that your book "Expert one on one Oracle" is now shipping . I was fortunate enough to pick up a preview copy at IOUG in Orlando - and was very impressed by the 3 chapters.

One follow-up question concerning the use of obfuscation - key management. Do you store the key in the package body, compile the package such that the code in the body is not human readable? What if someone wants to store various keys within the database, but the canned app is using the 'SELECT ANY TABLE' sys priv?

Or should I just have posted this at http://asktom.oracle.com/ ?

thanks in advance,

Paul Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:31:51 CDT