Re: ORADIM needs 4 minutes (ORA 817 on NT with soft raid)

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:32:06 GMT

Christian Greven wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed a new server with Oracle 8.1.7. The oradim needs about 4
> minutes. I find that's not normal!
>
> The server: HP Vectra PIII 1GH, 512 MB Ram, NT4 SP6
>
> Are there any known problems with NT Software Raid, HP Tools or Adaptec
> Direct CD (installed from customer, not my idea)???

> The oracle installation is on d:, with a span over two harddisks.

Christian:

spanned over 2 hard disks? You mean that its running RAID 0? I certainly hope not. I hope that you mean you have a software mirror (RAID 1).
Are you aware of the problems with "dirty region logging" with software RAID?
Also, Adaptec CD tools hang NT boxes extremely easily. Bad news.

This box must be a play toy, running Personal Oracle, right? Vectra is a desktop model, as I recall.
I'll wager that you don't even have an Oracle Support contract.

Since the customer likes HP, how about if you install this on an HP LH3000 configured with a dual channel hardware RAID controller with say 8 drives configured as 4 RAID 1 mirrored sets and let us know how it turns out.
(after applying the current Oracle patchsets and W2K service packs). Oh - and spec a tape drive, NO CD BURNERS.

Paul Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:32:06 CDT