Oracle much slower than DB2?

From: Burkhard Schultheis <schultheis_at_tde-online.de>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 17:56:08 +0200

We have different projects with two environments: DB2 on AIX and Oracle on DEC UNIX. Now we wonder why a statement lasts on DB2 (17000 records) about 1 second, and on Oracle (11000 records only) more then 10 seconds. It's a simple update on several columns without condition. The machines should be comparable in CPU Speed. (compiling C code is faster on DEC UNIX). The AIX mschine has 256 MB of memory, the DEC machine 640 MB. The SGA on the DEC machine is 320 MB! The affected rows are off slightly different type: Smallint on DB2, Number (3) on Oracle.
Any ideas, why performance is so bad in Oracle? (It's Oracle 8.0.5)

--
Burkhard Schultheis
Tele Data Electronic

Email:  schultheis_at_tde-online.de