swap on solaris8 64 bit for oracle 8i

From: Gulabchand Jaiswal <gulab_jaiswal_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Jul 2001 08:56:34 -0700

Hello All,
Need your input on following config recommended by our system architect ..
I do not agree with these recommendations.

In solaris8 admin class, the instructor apparently told this sys architect
that solaris8 has some "smart" swap and swapsize of 25 % the size of RAM is fine !! We have a huge 24 GB RAM domain on an E10K with 64bit solaris8. We run 32 bit
oracle 8.1.7.1.0. A 6 GB swap on this machine sounds very less. IS this thing something new ?? or am i too old fashioned to need 1- 1.5 times the RAM as my swap space ?

oracle doc id 148673.1 still refers to "2 times the RAM" swap space for oracle 9i for solaris!
it is not specific with soalris8 though.

Please respond ASAP.

Thx in advance.
Reg
G Received on Mon Jul 02 2001 - 10:56:34 CDT