Re: swap on solaris8 64 bit for oracle 8i

From: Karl & Betty Schendel <schendel_at_kbcomputer.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 18:14:40 GMT

In article <a562ad94.0107020756.7b00cb51_at_posting.google.com>,  gulab_jaiswal_at_yahoo.com (Gulabchand Jaiswal) wrote:

> In solaris8 admin class, the instructor apparently told this sys
> architect
> that solaris8 has some "smart" swap and swapsize of 25 % the size of
> RAM is fine !! We have a huge 24 GB RAM domain on an E10K with 64bit
> solaris8. We run 32 bit
> oracle 8.1.7.1.0. A 6 GB swap on this machine sounds very less.
> IS this thing something new ?? or am i too old fashioned to need 1-
> 1.5 times the RAM as my swap space ?
>
> oracle doc id 148673.1 still refers to "2 times the RAM" swap space
> for oracle 9i for solaris!
> it is not specific with soalris8 though.

Solaris treats combined RAM+swap as virtual memory. It doesn't need to back up every bit of allocated memory with disk swap like some other unixen. Given large-memory systems common now, any rule of thumb like "swap = 2x RAM" is inappropriate. Instead, figure out how much virtual memory you are likely to use, subtract RAM, throw in a fudge factor if you want, and that's how much swap you should have.

Karl Received on Mon Jul 02 2001 - 13:14:40 CDT