Re: Oracle in Solaris E3000/420R vs. Intel

From: TurkBear <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:24:14 -0500

But, you can do a full export of the data ( Choose GRANTS=N to avoid having to create all the users in the new database - see later part of response ) from the Sun , create a new database on the Intel box, duplicating the tablespace names ( and, optionally the users - at least the exporter's user - see previous part of comment ) ...this will give you an Oracle instance of with the data from the Sun, but, if you want to test performance, for instance, the dissimilarities between the OSs will introduce a lot of 'guesstimates' instead of facts.. A test of the upgrade will reveal whether you have used code ( in procs or functions for example ) that is no longer supported -- I do not think there was too much of that ( I have moved from 7.3.4 to 8.0.x to 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 in the Intel world with no big issues) - that will not differ between intel and Sun - ( If you have shell scripts for administering the Sun database, you will need to examine them closely and read the Release Notes from Oracle to see if there are changes needed..also check to see if any patches to 2.7 or 8 are needed to run 8.1.7( There usually are some, depending on the exact version of 2.7 or 8 you have))