Re: Standby DB Question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:25:56 +1000

"M Hashim" <mhashim_at_passport.ca> wrote in message
Hey Guys
No need to sound like a-holes....
I take it the news groups are sounding boards for opinions, and ideas. (" Regards
HJR

--
=============================!!=============================
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle

")
"Views" - what a croc.....
I looks like a weasly means to segue out from a weasly mistake, or should I say weasly lack of knowledge. And for this clown; paleD uh - he gets the 'sqlplus> drop tablespace system including contents;' award. Before you write something like that, think about your award; SELECT * FROM DUMMY; What an oxymoron - simply read, SELECT STAR FROM DUMMY; That must be one smart dummy...... oops, I forgot, it's now DUAL. Darn we have DUAL DUMMIES to deal with, Grow up guys. Yes, I looked through the docs - oodles of them.. Ironically, Paul came close to the answer of firing up the DB in read/write mode. Howard, I sense you think you know everything - sensing you pick a line in the doc, chew it up and spill it out as THE answer. I question whether you've done a standby install in your career. =============== The day you stop posting in HTML is the day I might start taking you seriously. In the meantime, what I posted is the correct answer... unless you can explain why it isn't. I am more than willing to learn, and learn from my mistakes. So, instead of a being a smartass that can barely string a meaningful sentence together, tell us what you did, and where the advice went astray, and I shall inwardly digest and try hard not to offend someone who posts the same sort of question again. As for your senses: they have led you wildly astray, and if I were you, I wouldn't pay too much attention to them. I don't pay too much attention to the docs (they contain that lovely line "you can create a locally managed SYSTEM tablespace", which we all know to be utter rot) unless I can prove them right. The fact is, what I posted has worked in the past for me (albeit in demonstration mode). In the meantime, anyone who starts here posting a question and rapidly ends up posting abuse risks being added to a blacklist. I trust you never encounter another problem in your Oracle career. HJR =============== As for paleD, there is a rather simple way to make the DB handle changes almost instantaneously in a managed mode. Should you be interested, I would be more than glad to help you. Paul Drake wrote:
"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
> Incorrect. Activate standby database puts the standby database into full > production mode. READ THE DOCUMENTATION!! > uh - he gets the 'sqlplus> drop tablespace system including contents;' award. This is exactly the problem with a "managed standby" mentality.
"Oracle will do everything for me - I don't really need to know what is
going on." Wrong. Even in 9i - the database won't manage everything itself. If you don't understand how to "manage" your standby database - contract it out or hire the expertise. Buying Enterprise Edition and using
"Managed Standby Database" is not a complete solution.
If you are daring enough to learn - this is a good start: http://otn.oracle.com http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_index.htm Oracle8i Standby Database Concepts and Administration Release 2 (8.1.6) Part Number A76995-01 and if you're running 8.1.7: Oracle8i Documentation Addendum Release 3 (8.1.7) Part Number A85455-01 Also - SQL> ALTER DATABASE ACTIVATE STANDBY DATABASE; does not actually open the database for production. You must shutdown the database (immediate is fine) and open it as either read-only (unlikely, as it has already been activated) or as read-write. good luck. Paul