Bitmap Idx

From: Sunder <sunder.nochilur_at_us.bosch.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 08:42:05 -0400

I have a table called TABLEA with columns COL1, COL2, COL3, COL4 I have created Bitmap indexes on COL1 and COL2.

When I do a explain plan on

select count(!) from TABLEA where COL1 = 'A';

The indexes are not used.

If i do an explain plan on

select /*+ INDEX(TABLEA,COL1_IDX) */
count(1) from TABLEA where COL1 = 'A';

The index is used.

My question : how do I get the bitmap index to be used by default. (without using the hint ).

Thanks
Sunder Received on Thu Jun 14 2001 - 07:42:05 CDT