Re: SQL Server vs Oracle

From: Ed Stevens <Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:19:20 GMT

On 13 Jun 2001 08:35:44 -0700, sfelten_at_ipsos-asi.com (scott felten) wrote:

>Our company is fustrated by Oracles enormous licensing costs and we
>are looking at SQL Server. What would we loose by going to SQL
>Server? Or what are some links that talk to this subject.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Scott Felten

As Mark Townsend said, you might start by re-evaluating Oracle options -- looking at Standard Edition pricing. My guess there is that if MS will meet your technical requirements, then Oracle SE most certainly will, and at a fraction of the cost of Oracle EE.

Another alternative might be DB2-UDB. I think you'll find the pricing to be very competitive, and from a technical standpoint very much more on par with Oracle.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)