Re: Is Oracle DBA cerificate useless ?!!!!

From: Ethan Post <Blah_at_Blah.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 05:35:04 GMT

While it is true 99% of the people posting on this list could care less if you got your OCP or not when you walk in the door for a job, it is not true that it is worthless. Go to the job boards and you will see that many of the jobs require or prefer OCP's. The reason you are getting such negative comments is because it is very "un-cool" to admit that there are people who have no idea what they are doing working as Oracle DBA's. How did they get their job, easy the person doing the hiring and firing had no idea what a qualified Oracle DBA looked like. So having the OCP on your resume gives this type of folk some comfort that they are hiring the right individual, not that they in fact are. If you want proof of this just read some of the questions that come across this list and any other Oracle list. The idea that an OCP gets you no closer to the prize (a job) is a bunch of bull. It is good training, you will learn something, but don't think you really know all that much once you get it because you (and I) don't. Also try to find someone with Oracle certification, reads the docs on a daily basis, configured Oracle on thier own time, worked through the problem sets, read a few good Oracle books, reads all the white papers etc...who is not currently working with Oracle. You will have a hard time finding that type of person.

"Gary Rempel" <gary.rempelnospam_at_icbc.com> wrote in message news:3B254D4D.26526C05_at_icbc.com...

> The main problem with certification is that, yes you do know the manuals
 and can
> pass the test, but can you really do the job? In addition, many shops have
> vastly different requirements.
>
> For example, in our shop, we also support very large mainframe databases,
 so our
> work is based on that system. Soemone else installs and a different group
> monitors etc. So although I "know" how to install, don't ask me to do it
 or
> you'll have a complete disaster
>

> Sam Talebbeik wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> >
> > I have posted a couple of questions about getting Oracle DBA
 certification
> > on this news group in the past few days.
> >
> > So far the feedback that I have gotten has been very negative. One
 person
> > even commented that the DBA training and the exam questions have nothing
> > to do with the "actual" DBA work and the Oracle shops really do not care
 who
> > has and who does not have a certificate.
> >
> > I am completely confused and I need more comments from Oracle old timers
> > particularly those with a certificate.
> >
> > Doesn't the certificate actually show that you have the "minimum"
> > requirements for a DBA job ? I looked at the course material for the DBA
> > and it looks very relevant (PL/SQL, Installation, Perf monitoring,
 Backup