Re: recommended raid level for 8i?

From: <NOtakmel_at_stratos.netSPAM>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:23:28 GMT

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:14:33 GMT, rhugga_at_yahoo.com (Chuck Carson) wrote:

>Without knowing anything about your application I would guess Raid
>0+1. Raid 5 has a write penalty but in some situations it can be
>better for read-only databases.

Oops, sorry about that, I should have been a little bit more clear. It will be a database server where the developers produce middle tier apps which use Oracle8i as the data store.

>However, Raid 0+1 needs 2x as many disks. If you go with Raid 5, just
>place your busiest objects on different on different spindles and
>always separate data objects from their index counterparts.
>
>If you have a little money to play with I recommend separating I/O
>load between multiple controllers.

In case of Oracle, things like 'journaling' becomes one of the busiest objects as you mention above?

Since it will be placed in a development environment I'm wondering if RAID5 will be sufficient & rather I should spend the extra $ on more RAM or even 2nd CPU?

TIA,
Robert Received on Mon Jun 11 2001 - 14:23:28 CDT