Re: recommended raid level for 8i?

From: Chuck Carson <rhugga_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:14:33 GMT

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:06:51 GMT, NOtakmel_at_stratos.netSPAM (NOtakmel_at_stratos.netSPAM) wrote:

Without knowing anything about your application I would guess Raid 0+1. Raid 5 has a write penalty but in some situations it can be better for read-only databases.

However, Raid 0+1 needs 2x as many disks. If you go with Raid 5, just place your busiest objects on different on different spindles and always separate data objects from their index counterparts.

If you have a little money to play with I recommend separating I/O load between multiple controllers.

-Chuck