Re: Certification

From: Mick Rice <mickricenet_at_netscape.net>
Date: 8 Jun 2001 02:05:45 -0700

Daniel,

       This is a very negative, inflexible and unhelpful view. One of the most irritating and generally useless types I've come accross in my career have been the peculiar brand of world-weary, seen-it-all, done-it-all, know-it-all and had the beta version of the t-shirt types. I hasten to add, that you most likely don't fall into this category Daniel but on this point at least I strongly disagree with your post, and we all have to be careful :-) If someone has taken the time and made the effort to get the OCP, that fact at the very least should count for something, even if the actual technical content of the sylabus might not be the greatest, and I think that point is debatable. I have spent a good deal of time interviewing for technical posts for a large organisation as well as the last 10 years working in the industry and the sort of negative, cynical, intellectual laziness I've mentioned is all around. Many experienced techies develop attitudes that makes them a very risky proposition in terms of introducing them into a productive team. For anyone who believes that their technical experience and inate personal charm will always be enough to pull them through their careers, I'd suggest that they be careful lest they get knocked back by some intelligent, open-minded, hardworking and less cynical youngster, that might or might not be OCP ;-)

And may the good lord all spare us from the rtfm merchants,

Mick Rice.