Re: The case preference of writing SQL, PL/SQL, SQL*PLUS comands/scripts

From: Spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 21:53:53 -0500

<cudworth_at_removed.invalid.org> wrote in message news:thstlh72cnsn00_at_corp.supernews.com...
> Spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net> wrote:
>
> > ex1. looks valid, and is proper.
> > ex2. looks valid, but is NOT proper.

> > (i'm prepared to be toasted for that answer...)

> > i apologize now for the length of this post, but i believe this is a
> > topic worthy of discussion. thanks for asking Dino. others are
> > welcomed to add their thoughts...

> > in looking at the two examples, it appears that oracle will interpret
> > these both the same way, there will be no difference (? someone
> > correct me if i'm wrong about this) in the compiled function.
> > (the source text that is stored will be different, of course)
>
> [snip]
>
> Your argument would carry more weight if you bothered to follow your own
> advice! The English language has a *definite* definition of what is
> proper -- that the personal pronoun "I" and the first word of every
> sentence be capitalized -- but you don't bother to follow it. If you
> can't be bothered to follow proper formatting in your own writing, why
> should anyone take advice from you about the "proper" format of other
> languages?
>
> Mark

Mark,

thank you for the feedback. i apologize if my previous post on this topic has offended or bothered you in some way. and yes, i do follow a formatting style in posts to the newsgroup. it is really not that important how much weight my argument carries with you, whether or not you think any of my ideas had merit or not. i was simply responding to Dino's questiona, and offer some insight as to the standard that is followed in our shop.

the format we follow is very close to the formatting style used in the oracle documentation, in the oracle press books, and by several authors. the formatting style we follow seems to have been of benefit to us.

as i said before, others will have different opinions. i certainly appreciate hearing about the benefits and/or drawbacks of different formatting styles.

as a previous poster noted, there is one other pl/sql programming style to which i am also partial, and that is using all lowercase for everything. i find it easier to read sql and pl/sql blocks that are formatted entirely in lowercase. but i find that using mixed case for more complex sql and pl/sql to be of benefit, especially for beginners. the styple clearly distinguishes keywords (which can be looked up in the oracle docs) and objects (which can be found in the data dictionary) from variables specific to the package (or other pl/sql block.)

you are certainly free to dismiss any and all of my ideas entirely for whatever reason. my use of lowercase in my posts could certainly be one such reason. if more members of the newsgroup speak up, and object to my continued use of lowercase, i will certainly consider changing.

thanks again for your feedback. your contributions to the newsgroups are welcome and appreciated. Received on Thu Jun 07 2001 - 21:53:53 CDT