Re: Spanish character problem

From: Jeff Smith <jds1201_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Jun 2001 13:20:44 -0700

"wayne" <no_at_email.please.com> wrote in message news:<9fjqpj$est_at_dispatch.concentric.net>...
> You have to pay attenction to what character set your created the database
> with. If you used ASCII7 then it will not work no matter what NLS_*
> settings you use. You have to use (as people have pointed out) WE8ISO8859P1
> in order to enable extended ASCII (the 8th bit characters, ASCII 128 to
> 255), or in the most risky move you can use UTF8 to use Unicode, but I would
> refrain from doing so until you fully understand Oracle's quirks with
> multi-byte character sets (there is a whole manual section dedicated to
> national character sets and their correct configuration/use).
>
> Anyway, the first task is to find out how the database was created.

The database was created with UTF8. On my Win2K client machine, my NLS_LANG registry entry is WE8ISO8859P1, and my SQL*Plus displays the data correctly. On the VMS machine, SQL*Plus displays the characters correctly if NLS_LANG is set to WE8ISO8859P1. The only time I have a problem is running stored procedures. When the stored procedures write to a file, I get "Ciudad México" instead of "Ciudad México" no matter what client runs the procedure. I need a way to override the default character set within the stored procedure.

I've read the docs on the national character sets. I find sections where they say that conversion between these character sets are possible, but I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.

Here are some of my v$nls_parameters settings:

PARAMETER                         VALUE
NLS_LANGUAGE                      AMERICAN
NLS_TERRITORY                     AMERICA
NLS_CHARACTERSET                  UTF8
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET            UTF8

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Jeff Received on Wed Jun 06 2001 - 15:20:44 CDT