Re: recovering offline redos

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 07:26:07 +1000

"Rolf Sapler" <bud_socks_at_gmx.net> wrote in message news:9fikg1$6g0$05$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> Hi Howard,
>
> i got online redos on tape younger than 29.01.
> Due to a different storage layout i had to create a new controlfile.
> Before that i`ve overwriten the online-redos with the above mentioned
 files.
> Right now the DB is in mount status. The v$logfile shows the correct
> online redos.
>
> I`ve got offline redos exactly to the point where i need to go to.
> Meanwhile i have succesfully recovered 2 offline redos by "recover
> database until cancel".
>
> Should i have used "...until time..." ?

Hi Rolf,

Until cancel is usually used when there is a missing redo log. It's rather a crude weapon to wield otherwise -Oracle says 'do you want to apply this log?', and you say 'cancel' -end of recovery session!

Until time is much more refined! It will allow parts of a redo log to be applied, and others to be ignored, and is usually used when all redo is present, but you don't want to play it in its entirety, because it contains something awful, like 'drop table customers'.

So, it would be up to you which to use in any given circumstance, but I saw that you had all redo until the 30th, but wanted to stop it at 6.30 the previous day -that sounded like a 'until time' to me.

Regards
HJR