Re: 2gb filesize, large disks and splitting tablespaces

From: andrew_webby at hotmail <spam_at_no.thanks.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 17:23:29 +0100

Steve sez: http://www.ixora.com.au/q+a/0008/30150113.htm

"Up to 8.0 the number of data files had a potential impact on DBWn performance,
not that it could not be managed with proper tuning. That is no longer an issue
under 8.1, but there is still a small impact at checkpoints and a small impact
on the per process memory usage. However, whether you choose 50 x 2G datafiles
or 100 x 1G datafiles should be decided entirely of the basis of ease of management, not performance."

I'll take that as gospel unless anyone has any horror stories they'd like to contribute? Especially re: the >2gb 'limit'...

Meanwhile, I'll buy some bullets, but as 'ultimate decision' DBA, may end up having to use them myself... ;-)