Re: 2gb filesize, large disks and splitting tablespaces

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 23:33:26 -0700

I once inherited a running database where the tablespaces where created with the datafiles sized at precisely 2GB ("size 2048m"). The question arose whether we should risk using "large files". Were they safe? However, when we looked at the size of the database files currently being used, we were surprised to find that they were already well over 2 gigabytes. Apparently there was additional header information that made these files larger than expected not to mention the fact that they were declared to be over the 2 gigabyte limit by 1 byte.

Encouraged by the fact that the sky had not fallen on this database, we let the files get even larger.

The sky still did not fall.

Frank Hubeny