Re: Oracle DB Tool

From: Ted Knijff <knijff_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 20:04:53 GMT

I don't understand. I don't want to kill the task, I want it to allow me to continue working with it. And when the JVM is waiting for some event that you cannot trigger just because the wrong modal form has the focus and you are unable (even with alt-tab) to switch to that window form, what can Dr. Watson do for me ?

What bugs me is that, in my opinion, the OEM written in C that was shipped with 8.0.5 was a perfectly usable piece of software and we did not need anything in the way of 3rd party software admin utilities like Toad to do a job which any decent database costing $100.000 should really supply, as it is with what you may call a micky mouse system like MS-SQL. And just because Oracle wants to write Java on its banner and proposedly have write once use anywhere code (which is a myth anyway), I have to live with stuff like jDeveloper, OUI and OEM that is slow, cumbersome and just not up to the level of performance and stability that I am used to from the Oracle DB software.

I should not even need to buy things like Toad.

Ted

On Thu, 31 May 2001 20:04:20 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:

>"Ted Knijff" <knijff_at_bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> My comments :
>>
>> I use PLSQLDeveloper. Very nice and cheaper than TOAD.
>>
>> Some of the utilities in TOAD (like creating an INDEX on a table)
>> are better than those in PLSQLDeveloper, but for triggers, procedures,
>> functions and packages as well as debugging, PLSQLDev is great.
>>
>> The Java stuff from Oracle is really bad when it comes to performance
>> and stability. You click on a window once too often or too fast and
>> you have a hang which can only be solved by alt-ctrl-del or the
>> Task-Manager.
>

>Come on. That's just not fair. I find the Java tools exceptionally
>well-integrated with Dr.Watson. I have yet to resort to Task Manager to
>kill them off (they need no help).
>
>Regards
>HJR
>

>So I prefer to use OEM from 8.0.5 when I need it.
>>
>> Toad is just too expensive for me for private use.
>>
>> Ted
>>
>> On Mon, 28 May 2001 15:00:04 -0500, "Spencer" <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >we use TOAD.
>> >
>> >i briefly reviewed SQL*Navigator... it's got a different (nicer?)
>> >look to it than TOAD, and i found it more difficult to use.
>> >
>> >i find the oracle tools written in java to have a nice look to
>> >them, but they are slow and difficult to use.
>> >
>> >"Mark Wallace" <mwallace*NOSPAM*@*NOSPAM*carr-sheppards.co.uk> wrote in
>> >message news:dV3P6.457$3S3.9954_at_news.lhr.globix.net...

 Java

>> EMail: knijff_at_bigfoot.com

EMail: knijff_at_bigfoot.com Received on Thu May 31 2001 - 15:04:53 CDT