Re: Replication or copy

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 08:38:19 +0200

"Johan Lorier" <johan.lorier_at_nl.abb.com> wrote in message news:c4ce07bf.0105272159.4b65633a_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi all,
>
> i need a copy of an OLTP database, that will be used as a DSS. I think I
 have 2 options:

> 1 - Every night make a copy of the db-files to the DSS server
> 2- use replication
>
> Can anyone point me to (dis-)advantages of these options, especially about
 performance issues?

> Thxs a lot.

Option 1 will simply not work at all, or the OLTP database needs to be down during the event. This is necessary because otherwise you will be getting inconsistent copies. If the database is down during copy you will also need to recreate the controlfile.
So, just forget about this scenario: it is not going to work 2 This will work, but then you might question why you need to address a *complete* database. Looks like bad design to me, while you also could have doubts whether you will manage to complete it in a reasonable time.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon May 28 2001 - 01:38:19 CDT