Re: Modem connections?

From: I hate Spam <tbf_at_cn.stam.dk>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 08:35:11 +0200

On Tue, 22 May 2001 08:51:02 -0400, Stephen Bell <stephen.bell_at_cgi.ca> wrote:

>Is it possible to connect to a remote database via high speed modem, or
>is this totally unfeasible?

The main problem will be if your application uses "iterative queries" to update a screen. Each query will have a certain _long_ turnaround time. It is surprising how even a few of these accumulated delays impairs the applications responsiveness. This is a major problem with one of our sites, connected with a 2MB line, but with a ping time of 20-40 ms. Some of the complicated forms can use 4-5 sec for update. I actually get better response times with VNC (or another remote control program like PC-anywhere) running the application on a computer local to the server.
On the other hand _one_ query returning a few rows performs fine over a single channel ISDN.

Yours Hans Erik Busk
tbf_at_cn.stam.dk Received on Sun May 27 2001 - 01:35:11 CDT