Re: Can I use replication (async) on a Partitioned Table(s)

From: Michael Austin <miaustin_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:07:33 -0400

Are you having a problem setting up the replication? Do you get an error? I would not implement any major feature of any database engine without first setting it up and hammering it in a development environment. Anything less is job suicide... do you have your resume ready?

Replication should know nothing of the physical storage of the data. It merely takes what is read from the table and sends it to the remote database. It is the remote database engine that then takes the data and stores it in the physical table/tablespace. So to answer your question, there is no logical reason why you cannot. I have not had to set up replication from a partioned table in Oracle "Classic (7,8,9)" , so TEST, TEST TEST. Michael Austin
DBA Consultant -- now available

BTW, a good portion of the guts of partitioning code and algorithms came right out of Rdb which has had partitioned tables since approx. V3 -circa '88-90' timeframe. I was glad to see V8 of Oracle "classic" finally get this feature as it is very useful in a VLDB environment.