Re: LMT with autoallocate

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:51:17 +1000

I'd just mention in passing that Steve Adams' website has an endorsement for UNIFORM extents as well. So when you get Jonathan Lewis, Steve Adams *and* Thomas Kyte all recommending UNIFORM... well, you get the idea (and I posted it first!!! ;-)

Regards
HJR

--
=============================!!=============================
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> I have to agree with the bit that says 'there is a
> very good discussion ...' but the book does say:
>
> quote:
>
> Frankly I have to say that I haven't yet thought of
> any good reason for using tablespaces of the
> AUTOALLOCATE type.
>
> unquote
>
> In fact, I think I have posted a bit on my website
> that qualifies this, and points out that for smaller
> scale databases using 3rd party apps, it could
> be a reasonable strategy when you have no
> control about which objects go in which
> tablespaces, and no information about which
> objects will be tiny and which will be huge.
>
> In cases where I am able to control the
> decision it's 100% uniform, but with
> a handful of different tablespaces and
> a small set of possibly UNIFORM sizes.
>

> --
> Jonathan Lewis
> Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> Practical Oracle 8i: Building Efficient Databases
> Publishers: Addison-Wesley
>
> Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html
>

> Sybrand Bakker wrote in message ...
> >Comments embedded
> >
> >Hth,
> >
> >Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >
> >"Vikas Agnihotri" <onlyforposting_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Since HJR doesnt have first-hand experience with autoallocate LMTs, I
> >> wanted to check if these beasts are used in real-world production
> >> databases at all.
> >

> >Yes they are
> >

> >> Could someone who has used LMT (locally managed tablespaces) with
> >> either autoallocate or uniform extents comment on their alleged
> >> performance benefits, administrative issues, etc?
> >
> >Obviously, an enormous reduction of selects on fet$ and uet$ in system
> >(where dictionary managed tablespaces have their repository)
> >
> >In 8.1.6 however on Solaris there is a problem with exporting uniform
LMTs:
> >this will result in EXP-0068. The data is exported though. Autoallocate
> >doesn't have this problem.
> >

> >> Would you recommend LMT over dictionary managed?
> >
> >Yes
> >

> >If so, would you
> >> recommend uniform or autoallocate?
> >>

> >autoallocate. There is a very good discussion on this in Jonathan Lewis
book
> >Practical Oracle 8i
> >Having extents bigger than can be read with 1 I/O request is according to
> >him more or less useless.
> >Oracle decides on whether it will use 64k or 1 M extents depending on
O/S,