Re: LMT with autoallocate

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 23:17:55 +0100

I have to agree with the bit that says 'there is a very good discussion ...' but the book does say:

quote:

    Frankly I have to say that I haven't yet thought of     any good reason for using tablespaces of the     AUTOALLOCATE type.

unquote

In fact, I think I have posted a bit on my website that qualifies this, and points out that for smaller scale databases using 3rd party apps, it could be a reasonable strategy when you have no control about which objects go in which
tablespaces, and no information about which objects will be tiny and which will be huge.

In cases where I am able to control the
decision it's 100% uniform, but with
a handful of different tablespaces and
a small set of possibly UNIFORM sizes.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html