Re: Importing into locally managed tablespaces

From: Vikas Agnihotri <onlyforposting_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 May 2001 08:07:03 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:<3b09e30b_at_news.iprimus.com.au>...
> No. I don't have much experience with the autoallocate policy, for sure
> (the general advice is that if you're going to use LMTs, stick with the
> uniform extent method). But LMTs have always paid attention to the Storage
> Clause -it's what they decide to do with it that gets interesting.
>
> Short story: LMT with 1M uniform extents. Create table with initial of
> 3.2M, next 26K. What do you get? To start with, 4 extents of 1 meg each
> (that's your Initial dealt with, with a bit of rounding up just to keep you
> happy). When the table extends, you'll get a 5th extent of 1 meg (that's
> the 26K being "ignored" -actually, it's not ignored as such, it's just
> suffering from a major dose of rounding up).

I see. Well, then let me turn this around a little bit.

My destination database is not as "muscled" as my production database. i.e my LMT are about 20-30% of my production databases.

Regardless of 'exp compress=y or n', there is no way that my production tables are going to fit in the new tablespaces.

I thought that by creating LMT with autoallocate, Oracle would basically ignore the STORAGE clause when creating the tables/indexes and autoallocate them when neccesary (when loading data into it). Which would be fine, because I dont intend to load production data into it. Just some small test data.

Since this is not working out as expected, is there a way to have 'exp' NOT write the STORAGE clause in its CREATE TABLE/INDEX statements?

This way, the objects will get created with just the TABLESPACE <ts> and the LMT policy will kick in.

Thanks. (My guess is the answer is NO. Hence my other post about parsing 'imp show=y' output! :-) Received on Tue May 22 2001 - 10:07:03 CDT