Re: Importing into locally managed tablespaces

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:54:32 +1000

No. I don't have much experience with the autoallocate policy, for sure (the general advice is that if you're going to use LMTs, stick with the uniform extent method). But LMTs have always paid attention to the Storage Clause -it's what they decide to do with it that gets interesting.

Short story: LMT with 1M uniform extents. Create table with initial of 3.2M, next 26K. What do you get? To start with, 4 extents of 1 meg each (that's your Initial dealt with, with a bit of rounding up just to keep you happy). When the table extends, you'll get a 5th extent of 1 meg (that's the 26K being "ignored" -actually, it's not ignored as such, it's just suffering from a major dose of rounding up).

(Precisely what you'd get depends entirely on your release of Oracle. 8.1.5 did things rather differently than 8.1.7. But you get the idea, I hope. The storage clause is, in all case, being made to fit to what the LMT can offer. It's not being ignored exactly, but is taken merely as a general sense of what you are wanting to do -but the LMT always has the last say).

Regards
HJR

--
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle