Re: SQL (oracle) and ASP stored procedure question

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:03:46 -0700

<comments interspersed below>

Max Coppin wrote:

> Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
>
> I am a student trying to create an asp front end for an oracle database. My
> plan was to create a series of stored procedures to insert, delete and
> select data etc. I have hit a few problems though.
>
> Firstly i have read in some places that oracle will not allow a select
> statement as a stored procedure without any parameters or an into statement
> following it, is this true? if so is there any way around it without coding
> in asp.

People code ASPs against Oracle all the time and have been for years so obviously this is not true ... at least as far as being a stopping point. You can have a SELECT statement in a stored procedure without any parameters. But doing so eliminates any ability to pass through a value or values to be used in the WHERE clause. But it isn't necessary. That is your choice.

Oracle does require that you SELECT into something but that something, for your purposes is a REF CURSOR which must be an OUT parameter in the stored procedure. That is how Oracle returns the rows to the calling program.

> secondly i have not yet got a procedure to take parameters from my asp pages
> yet, can someone please help me

On this I can not help though others undoubtedly can.

It might be helpful to post an example of what you are doing so someone can review it and give you specific comments.

> thanks again
>
> Maxcoppin_at_btinternet.com

And please don't cross post every usenet newsgroup you can spell. It is absolutely obnoxious to see the same request in newsgroup after newsgroup.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Mon May 21 2001 - 00:03:46 CDT