Re: Urgent - Question on Auditing

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 23:34:52 +1000

"Dave Weeks" <dweeks_at_nospam.gnseurope.com> wrote in message news:9dof9a$h1s$1_at_reader-00.news.insnet.cw.net...
> Hi Howard,
>
> The powers that be wanted Oracle on an A1000 with bags of memory for their
> piss-poor application that will be doing 1 sort every blue moon.
 Therefore,
> our TEMP tablespace is not of the 'temporary' variety at all but just a
> dumping ground for storing DBA-temporary objects (like sys.aud$ and
> dba.random_experiments).
>
> Yes, you are correct that it's the norm to have a proper temporary
> tablespace for sorts (where else would Oracle do large sorts?)

Er, SYSTEM is a prime candidate if you forget to set up your Users properly!!

Sorts will happily swap down to any old tablespace (and the default is indeed SYSTEM), regardless of size. But it's not pretty when it happens!

> and sys.aud$
> should be moved to a new tablespace (e.g. audit_tab).
>
> Incidentally, the article I linked to says:
>
> "You cannot move SYS.AUD$ to another tablespace as a means of
> controlling the growth and size of the audit trail."

God knows what they mean. Perhaps they are trying to say, rather obscurely, that the fact that you've moved the table won't influence how much or how often audit records get written to it? Hence growth and size are detmined by your auditing options, not its location?? Statement of the bleedin' obvious if so, I would have thought.

If they mean "you can't set intitial, next or other storage parameters" for it, well, I confess I haven't tried. It remains a SYS table, wherever it's moved to, of course, so that might cause trouble. The standard advice is (in 8i) to issue the 'move table' command, which would mean that the storage parameters don't change, of course. For earlier version, it was to do a 'create table new_aud as select * from aud$ where 1=2' -and again, the existing storage parameters would simply have gone along for the ride without alteration.

But I've just tested moving the table into a locally managed tablespace with uniform extents of 50K -and the thing (naturally) picks up the new tablespace settings (not as if it had much choice in the matter, I agree). So to suggest (if that is what they are doing) that you can *never* alter the storage parameters is just simply wrong.

Regards
HJR

 http://w3.uqah.uquebec.ca/ORACLE/server.805/a58397/ch22.htm#1108
> > > (take an hour to read it all)
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Dave Weeks.
> > >

> > > Balachandra Rao <bprao_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
 auditing
 by