Re: Urgent - Question on Auditing

From: Dave Weeks <dweeks_at_nospam.gnseurope.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 15:45:58 +0100

Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:3affdf07_at_news.iprimus.com.au...

> > Incidentally, the article I linked to says:
> >
> > "You cannot move SYS.AUD$ to another tablespace as a means of
> > controlling the growth and size of the audit trail."
> >
> If they mean "you can't set intitial, next or other storage parameters"
 for
> it, well, I confess I haven't tried. It remains a SYS table, wherever
 it's
> moved to, of course, so that might cause trouble. The standard advice is
> (in 8i) to issue the 'move table' command, which would mean that the
 storage
> parameters don't change, of course. For earlier version, it was to do a
> 'create table new_aud as select * from aud$ where 1=2' -and again, the
> existing storage parameters would simply have gone along for the ride
> without alteration.
>
> But I've just tested moving the table into a locally managed tablespace
 with
> uniform extents of 50K -and the thing (naturally) picks up the new
> tablespace settings (not as if it had much choice in the matter, I agree).
> So to suggest (if that is what they are doing) that you can *never* alter
> the storage parameters is just simply wrong.

To quote the whole paragraph:

    "You cannot move SYS.AUD$ to another tablespace as a means of controlling the growth and size of the audit trail. However, you can modify the default storage parameters (except INITIAL) in SYS.AUD$."

The rest of the article makes unambiguous sense anyway ;-)

 http://w3.uqah.uquebec.ca/ORACLE/server.805/a58397/ch22.htm#1108