Re: logical storage philosophy?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 15:03:15 +0200

"Fred A G" <nospam_at_allowed.localhost> wrote in message news:BwuL6.4782$vR1.16338_at_nntpserver.swip.net...
> Bon jour, tout le monde!
>
> I am searching through Metalink and other sites for a source on storage
> parameters policies, but nothing much comes up. Aren't there any around?
> I am also interested to hear about the philosophies used by the database
> management people here, when it comes to Oracle logical storage
> parameters (like initial, next, max extent, pct increase, and so on).
>
> For instance, what behaviour do you expect for initial and additional
> extents. Aim for one big (enough) inital and only a few additional per
> year or at most per month? Is the max extent limit (e.g. 121) a
> safeguard and for normal operation it should be near unreachable, or is
> unlimited the way to go?
>
> Regards
> /Fad

If you are running 8i: use Locally Managed Tablespaces (LMTs) which will force you to use equally size extents and for the rest : don't bother If you are not running 8i:
Pct_increase was one of the smartest ideas Oracle ever had, and is the main source for tablespace fragmentation.
Use equally sized extents and pct_increase 0, and maxextents unlimited in Oracle 7.3 and 8.0

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun May 13 2001 - 08:03:15 CDT