Re: doing data conversions

From: Patrick Sinke <patrick.sinke_at_capgemini.nl>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 15:14:16 +0200

It's gonna be a large piece of code, but you can do it with Decode!

select decode( 'AL', 'alabama'

                     , 'CA', 'California'
                     , ......                    -- and so on
                     , 'Unknown'      -- value if none of the above match
                     )

from table

Also, you could write a function that looks up the code and returns the description in a table.

This function has to be placed in a package then, and given a PRAGMA RESTRICT REFERENCES( function_name, WNDS, WNPS )

select package.function( 'abbreviation' ) from table;

Good luck!

Regards,

Patrick Sinke
Cap Gemini Ernst & Young, sector Financial Services.

jayzhee <nospam_at_newsranger.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 8_vK6.817$bi2.63683_at_www.newsranger.com...