Re: Brain Death

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 15:14:42 +0100

A file copy is probably not a reasonable test. 3rd party apps are notorious for indulging in lengthy row-at-a-time dialogues with Oracle, and such dialogues are synchronous.

File transfer protocols generally work on the basis -

    Here's 8K
    Here's another 8K
    Here's another 8K
    Here's another 8K
    Here's another 8K
    Here's another 8K
    Oh, you missed the 3rd bit did you
        here it is again.

One indicator is to hit a sample session with 10046 at level 8, with timed_statistics turned on, and look at:

  1. the number of selects/fetches
  2. the tim = figure on each line

If there are lots of calls to the database in a short period of time, the app is at fault. If the time lag between calls is anomalous (e.g. 5/100 second between FETCH calls)
then the network, or other infrastructure item (such as Windows DLLs) could be
the problem.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

<3af94bf7$0$12245$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...