Brain Death

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 14:53:50 +0100

we run a 3rd party financials solution in a WAN environment.

Problem is that remote sites report a (very real) loss of performance in OLTP work. However

  1. local sites do not report this problem, suggesting database tuning is adequate and
  2. also report.txt gives no undue waits,locks or bad hit ratios etc.

So I turn to the network. This is my weak point.

File copies run at acceptable speed utilising the available bandwidth appropriately. Routers etc report no problems (I'm relying on my CISCO guy here).

Network is IP only so all traffic uses same protocol. Only affected application appears to be this one. other oracle based solutions are performing normally somwehat suggesting database.

Any suggestions as to where to look. especially is a file copy an adequate test of network performance or is there more I could do? Ping and tracert are OK.

any suggestions that this problem has chosen to rear its ugly head after I went down the pub are entirely justified.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA