Re: Locally managed tablespaces and migrated rows

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 10:12:40 GMT

On Wed, 9 May 2001 09:34:13 +0100, "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>If you know exactly what you are doing
>there is very little advantage to LMTs
>over DMTs. But with a little care and
>ingenuity it's quite easy to turn a safety
>feature into a death trap, particularly if
>you call it a shrink-wrapped, black-box,
>3rd-party application.

How true. And we have to live with them, they aren't gonna go away just because we think they're rubbish.

BTW, to anyone listening who might be "concerned" that I'm having a go at Howard or at Oracle education in Australia:

In the past, I've been accused of just that. In fact, it landed me in hot water with Oracle's top management. Because it was misinterpreted and distorted by a bunch of arseholes who don't work for Oracle anymore. I had the great joy a couple of years ago of meeting the person who got blasted then and hear him admit openly that I was absolutely right at the time with what I complained about.

I'm not "roasting" anyone. Oracle education does not retain the "truth". Like any other education organization, it's a work in progress. New subjects come up and it takes a while to get the whole thing fine-tuned. It's in that spirit that I commented. As a "heads-up" that I'm noticing a problem with the output of their effort (the newbie DBAs). Not as an absolute attack on their practices.

I hope that clears the air and I don't get another call from some crap USA VP at 2:00 am asking me "what the f... do you think you're doing"!

And as far as Howard is concerned, I have a great deal of respect for the guy and it would be totally out of place for me to imply he was misleading anyone.
If I ever had to say that about anyone I'd do so openly and directly, here or in any other open forum. Never been afraid of doing so in 26 years in this industry. Wouldn't be starting now.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Wed May 09 2001 - 05:12:40 CDT