Re: max size of datafile

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 17:24:30 +1000

"Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3AF8D9ED.3F68A6A9_at_exesolutions.com...
> Connor McDonald wrote:
>
> > andy wrote:
> > >
> > > I have an Oracle 7.3.4 database under Sco Unix Openserver 3.2 5.0. The
> > > db_block_size parameter is set to 2048.
> > > What is the maximum size reachable of one datafile?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Andy.
> >
> > Many different limits apply - my personal opinion that any datafile over
> > 2g starts to be a problem due to any of:
> >
> > - OS restrictions
> > - file system restrictions
> > - oracle bugs
> > - pain in the arse to move around easily
> >
> > hth
> > connor
> > --
> > Connor McDonald
> > http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
> > http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)
> >
> > "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
>
> I just built an instance yesterday with quite a number of 6GB tablespaces.
> Wasn't the first time. Won't be the last. Solaris 2.8 is perfectly happy
 as
> is Oracle 8.1.7.1.0. But then what else are you going to do with a Sun
 e450
> with 20 x 9GB drives?
>
> Can't speak to how Windows would handle it.

It handles it just fine, provided (as with Unix) you know what you are doing. I wish we could stop this childish back-biting about Windows. *You* may not like it as an operating system, and gazillions of others may not like it for the same reasons, but there are quadgazillions of users out there who (a) have no choice in the matter or (b) actually think it's a pretty neat O/S in its W2K (or even its NT) incarnation.

Moreover, Oracle is a supported product on NT and W2K, so twittering on about how awful Windows is really isn't terribly helpful.

Incidentally, Intances don't have tablespaces, Databases do.

HJR