Re: max size of datafile

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 07:10:18 GMT

"Daniel A. Morgan" wrote:

> Connor McDonald wrote:
>
> > andy wrote:
> > >
> > > I have an Oracle 7.3.4 database under Sco Unix Openserver 3.2 5.0. The
> > > db_block_size parameter is set to 2048.
> > > What is the maximum size reachable of one datafile?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Andy.
> >
> > Many different limits apply - my personal opinion that any datafile over
> > 2g starts to be a problem due to any of:
> >
> > - OS restrictions
> > - file system restrictions
> > - oracle bugs
> > - pain in the arse to move around easily
> >
> > hth
> > connor
> > --
> > Connor McDonald
> > http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
> > http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)
> >
> > "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
>
> I just built an instance yesterday with quite a number of 6GB tablespaces.
> Wasn't the first time. Won't be the last. Solaris 2.8 is perfectly happy as
> is Oracle 8.1.7.1.0. But then what else are you going to do with a Sun e450
> with 20 x 9GB drives?
>
> Can't speak to how Windows would handle it.
>
> Daniel A. Morgan

neener neener -

I maintain a Proliant 7000 box with 26 drives on 7 I/O channels - and its running ...

W2K Server.
(4 CPUs, 3.2 GB RAM)
Its OFA out the wazoo
and I keep all of the datafiles just under 2 GB so that my batch jobs can compress them for on-disk backup.

With an 8K block size - the maximum datafile size is 32 GB. Don't do it. Just because you can - doesn't mean that you should. Btw - 7.3.4 on NT4 - NTFS - 4K block size - could go to 16 GB.

Paul Received on Fri May 11 2001 - 02:10:18 CDT