Re: Getting Oracle to tell me why it's unhappy

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
Date: 9 May 2001 13:38:30 -0400

In <tfe28d7mjasg04_at_beta-news.demon.nl> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> writes:

>sql_trace = true in init.ora
>will produce trace files in the directory pointed to by the user_dump_dest
>parameter.
>The trace file will contain the erroneous statement preceded by err=1041
>You need to bounce the database to enable tracing.

OK, I'm still at a loss here :-(

I'v got the following in configpwhse.ora:

sql_trace = true

background_dump_dest    = /oracle_home/app/oracle/admin/pwhse/bdump
core_dump_dest          = /oracle_home/app/oracle/admin/pwhse/cdump
user_dump_dest          = /oracle_home/app/oracle/admin/pwhse/udump

I have bounced the DB (a couple of times), I have stoped and restarted the application. I am still getting the 1401 error in it's error log (this happens every hour, and about 30+ instances of each happen each hour).

I have greped for err=1041 in both
/oracle_home/app/oracle/admin/pwhse/udump, and /oracle_home/app/oracle/admin/pwhse/bdump, and I still am not seeing any evidence of the failed inserts.

I thought it might be a case of the app pading with spaces, so I added teh following trigger:

/*

        Create Triger For MWH_LOG */
		create or replace trigger MWH_LOG_trig
		before insert on MWH_LOG for each row
		begin
		   :new.brkr_id := rtrim(:new.brkr_id);
		  :new.brkr_id := rtrim(:new.brkr_id);
	  end;
	  /

Here's the structure of teh table in question:

SQL> describe MWH_LOG ;

 Name                            Null?    Type
   DSTAMP                                   DATE
   BRKR_ID                                  CHAR(20)
   MWH_READ                                 NUMBER
   BRKR_TYPE                                NUMBER(3)

Any helpful sugestions here? This is not how I planed to spend the first 3 days of this week :-(

And thanks for all the help I have recieved so far! Received on Wed May 09 2001 - 12:38:30 CDT