Re: Howto check which init.ora file the instance is using ?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 00:54:57 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> I'd love to know what version and O/S you are on, because no such entry is
> listed on NT, 8.1.6 (or W2K 8.1.6 come to that), and I don't recall one in
> 8.0 either.
>
> Would that it were that simple. Maybe that explains your use of the
> subjunctive <g>.
>
> In actual fact, of course, "show parameter all" will list those parameters
> which have the letter combination "A-L-L" in them, so you can expect to see
> a fist-full of parALLel server parameters. But of a "pfile", there is not a
> sausage!
>
> The short answer is that you cannot readily tell which init file was used to
> start the answer, as I think other have said before. The best you can do is
> use v$parameter to see what settings are actually in force, and hope that
> you can find a match with your assorted init.oras. (Incidentally, I guess
> this is just one more reason why the Oracle gold-standard states that there
> should be one Instance/database per box!)
>
> Regards
> HJR
>
> "Ketan Shah" <shahkn_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > in svrmgr do show parameter all. It should show an entry for PFILE and
 this
> > is the one which is being used. Also check v$parameter table.
> >
> > "Matthias Hoys" <matthias_at_reference.be> wrote in message
> > > How can I see which initialization.ora file a currently running instance
 is
> > > using ?
> > > Is there a system view to check this ?

This is also true in version 8.1.7.1.0. But I have seen reference to doing something in Server Manager such as STARTUP PFILE or STARTUP PARAMETERS which is supposed to reveal this bit of information. I've tried it and Server Manager has never once cooperated.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Mon May 07 2001 - 02:54:57 CDT