Re: Howto check which init.ora file the instance is using ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 19:09:59 +1000

"Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3AF654D1.5A6BF545_at_exesolutions.com...
> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

 [Snip]

> This is also true in version 8.1.7.1.0. But I have seen reference to doing
> something in Server Manager such as STARTUP PFILE or STARTUP PARAMETERS
 which is
> supposed to reveal this bit of information. I've tried it and Server
 Manager has
> never once cooperated.

Well, if you type 'help' in Server Manager, the listed startup options are as follows:

DBA FORCE PFILE=[filespec] EXCLUSIVE|SHARED MOUNT OPEN and NOMOUNT

...and as they all clearly relate to actually starting the Instance, none of those are going to be of any help. Startup pfile is, of course, simply what you'd ordinarily type to start an Instance using a parameter file in a non-default location.

There is a 'Show all' option, which is what the earlier poster was probably referring to... it doesn't list the pfile, just a bunch of stuff about character width settings and so forth. There's nothing there at any rate that changes when I move my pfile around the machine.

HJR