Re: Windows Me and Oracle -- unbelievable!

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 05:00:42 GMT

Why are you surprised? Even Microsoft says ME is a home/game OS and if you want to have professional stuff running, use Win2K. I suspect ME will migrate to XBox; do you think you'd have Oracle on XBox? (And if MS puts SQL Server on XBox, then we all know what MS thinks of SQL Server, don't we?)

MS has been struggling with getting real money out of businesses while keeping home PC junkies happy with low prices. Hence the divergent OSs, Win2K and ME. They need Win2K workstation to be significantly different (possibly runs some things that ME wont) or companies wont pay the higher price - the security and other niceties can be covered by add ons (Norton/Symantec/whatever).

/Hans