Re: Create 8.1.7 instance on Win2000 fails, no controlfile

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 11:58:52 +1000

"Peter Laursen" <pl_at_mail1.remove.this.stofanet.dk> wrote in message news:CvzI6.6358$Iq.1286753_at_news101.telia.com...

Howard J. Rogers skrev i meddelelsen <3af2bdc0_at_news.iprimus.com.au>...
>Hi Peter.
>
>When did you fall under the impression that oradim creates a database for
>you??

Well I didnt. I have scripts for create database, running catalog, catproc, app schemas and ...
But im just a developer doing DBA work whenever we need some done, so I tend to forget things from one time to another. Its been 6 months since I last did an oradim on Win2k/8i.

So, now I have (re)discovered that oradim with startmode auto on Win2k/8i will mount (and open?) the database. On Win NT/8.0 it did not. It left it in nomount.

Correct. If you haven't issued the 'create database' command yet in server manager (or sqlplus), then there is no control file to be opened and read (which is what 'mounting a database' really means). So, when the service that oradim has created is started, you have an Instance, but that's all. But you can now connect to that Instance, and issue a "create database blah datafile 'c:\blah\system01.dbf' size 50m autoextend on logfile group 1 'c:\blah\log1a.rdo' size 1m, group 2 'c:\blah\log2a.rdo' size 1m;" ... and a controlfile will be created for you. The process will then mount that control file, and generate the various files specified in that statement. When that's all done, the database will be opened for you, a system rollback segment created, and the data dictionary tables created and populated. You then run catalog.sql and catproc.sql, and you have a fully functional database.

I think your problem is that you haven't actually done any of that yet, so what is happening is that you try and start the service, it tries to mount and open the database, finds there's no control file created yet, and just keels over in the nomount stage. That's perfectly standard behaviour for a service trying to open a file that doesn't exist -and it would happen to you, too, on Unix if you manually typed "startup" when none of the files have actually been created yet.

Regards
HJR

Can you explain to me why it is so? I have read the common Administrators Guide and this difference in oradim behavior is not described as far as i can tell.

/Peter Received on Fri May 04 2001 - 20:58:52 CDT