Re: Oracle 9i and svrmgrl

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 00:13:24 +0200

On Wed, 2 May 2001 23:54:59 +0200, "Frank an der Heiden" <fh_at_energotec.de> wrote:

>hi folks,
>
>does anybody know, if the version 9i still will support
>the svrmgrl tool?
>i heard somethink like oracle wants to stop supporting this tool.
>in my point of view the svrmgrl is much better and faster to use, if
>you just want to do some changes or maintainance on your db.
>i worked with sqlplus worksheet during my dba training at oracle
>and i must say, it was very buggy (hello dr. watson;-))
>
>if not, is it possible to run sqlplus as a background-process
>and communicate programatically with this process by using
>a pipe, or runs sqlplus only with user-interface?
>(btw: i hate these java-front-ends!!)
>
>thanx in advance
>frank

sqlplus worksheet definitely is a different product than 'ordinary' sqlplus. Ordinary sqlplus has always come with a command-line/dos like version. sqlplusw is the executable running under windows, and sqlplus for running under dos.
The obvious reason NOT to use svrmgrl is it doesn't support command editing, and it is not going too. No if only would Oracle iron out syntax differences between svrmgrl and sqlplus...

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed May 02 2001 - 17:13:24 CDT