Re: Hot-Stdby-DB vs. Parallel-Server

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 02:54:16 GMT

Parallel Server is Oracle's High Availability option - Hot Standby (or any Standby) is a method of getting close to High Availability, but it just doesn't go all the way. There is a definite lag time, and potentially manual or semi-automated effort to switch. Data Guard (see http://technet.oracle.com) does help a fair bit on standby.

The secondary advantage for Parallel Server is that one machine can be set up as the primary user machine, the other(s) designated for admin, reports, maintenance, etc. Thus you get use out of all CPUs involved in that config, justifying the cost in terms additional to just 'high availability'.

I strongly you contact your Oracle sales rep and ask for a Sales Consultant to discuss this with you. At the very least, SAP is not designed to take advantage of Parallel Server so there could be some performance impact if not set up properly. Depending on your time frame, you may also want to wait for the next generation of Parallel Server - see
http://technet.oracle.com/products/oracle9i/content.html > TWP on Real Application Clusters

/Hans