Re: Hot-Stdby-DB vs. Parallel-Server

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:40:42 +0200

One of the main features of Oracle Parallel Server, is that there are two servers serving the same disks.
Hence the servers need to be in the same computer room. A client may not want that for obvious reasons (if there is a fire in the computer room, both servers will burn down) So, there are cases where Hot Standby is the best you can do.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

 http://technet.oracle.com) does
> help a fair bit on standby.
>
> The secondary advantage for Parallel Server is that one machine can be set
 up as
> the primary user machine, the other(s) designated for admin, reports,
> maintenance, etc. Thus you get use out of all CPUs involved in that
 config,
> justifying the cost in terms additional to just 'high availability'.
>
> I strongly you contact your Oracle sales rep and ask for a Sales
 Consultant to
> discuss this with you. At the very least, SAP is not designed to take
 advantage
> of Parallel Server so there could be some performance impact if not set up
> properly. Depending on your time frame, you may also want to wait for the
 next
> generation of Parallel Server - see
> http://technet.oracle.com/products/oracle9i/content.html > TWP on Real
> Application Clusters
>
> /Hans
>
> Andreas Schlager wrote:
>
> > Ahem, I forgot:
> >
> > Is the only alternative way to the hot-standby-db the Oracle Parallel
 Server?