Re: disk config

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:25:54 +0200

"Cosmin Ioan" <cosmini_at_mediaone.net> wrote in message news:0g5G6.2327$3r.649029_at_typhoon.jacksonville.mediaone.net...
> hello all,
>
> I have a disk config. dilemma, on Win2k Server, Ora 8i:
>
> -- I have a 4 SCSI UltraWide hd system (Dell P800) and was wondering if a
> software striping w/ parity (RAID 5) would be more beneficial as opposed
> keeping data files spread on the four individual drives!? Also, the
> drives are not all equally fast (does that mean that the speed of the
 entire
> system, when RAID-ed, would be as fast as the slowest drive!?)
>
> thanks much,
>
> Cosmin

RAID-5 for online redo log files is just a big nono, as has been outlined *many* times in this group. So I would keep those 4 drives apart if there are only 4. If they are not of equal speed logical thinking results in considering it as a yet bigger nono to use RAID.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Fri Apr 27 2001 - 00:25:54 CDT