Database contexts in a non multi-threading environment

From: Jonathan Greenwood <Jonathan.Greenwood_at_wolmail.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 23:59:29 +0200

Hi,

I am building an application on a HP-Unix platform (10.2) that does not use multi-threading.

The Oracle documentation doesn't seem very clear about a scenario I have used but fails. Can anyone suggest why and perhaps other work arounds..?

Parent/Main coordinating process:
-Start main application
-LogOn (simple use of the connect command)
-do some stuff
-LogOff
-fork off various other sub-processes
-LogOn
-Monitor
-Gracefully logoff and exit

Child Processes:
- LogOn (simple use of the connect command)

The problem I come up across is that the logon/logoff in the child is also seen by the parent.

After reading the Oracle manual I see talk of db context switches when using threading. Can context switching also be used in a non-threading environment, but with the above scenario where we start with a parent, fork off child processes with the idea that each process thereafter works within its own context and not all using the same context.

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan. Received on Fri Apr 27 2001 - 16:59:29 CDT