Re: 8.1, 8.0 and prior and snapshot too old

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:26:13 +0100

I hadn't noticed it - however I believe a recent change in Oracle has allowed rollback blocks to be packed more efficiently.

Once upon a time after a transaction had used a block and committed, that block could not be used by any other transaction. In Oracle 8.1 (at least) the next active transaction can re-acquire the block to make use of any space that has been left.

I don't know when the change happened, but perhaps it would be sufficient in an OLTP system with a large block size to result in a visible reduction in 1555 errors.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html